The benefits of organic cotton clothing include better health for consumers and farmers, environment conservation, cost savings for farmers, etc. These benefits have created a boom in the organic cotton clothing industry in the past few years. Parents are increasingly purchasing organic cotton baby clothes such as organic cotton diapers and organic cotton baby blanket.
Young as well as old consumers, men as well as women, are switching to organic cotton jeans, organic cotton pajamas, organic cotton shirt, organic cotton t shirt, organic cotton towel, organic cotton bedding, organic cotton mattress, organic cotton pillow, organic cotton blanket, organic cotton sheet, organic cotton duvet cover, organic cotton sock, organic cotton bath robe, organic cotton underwear, organic cotton bra, organic cotton bag, and other clothes made of organic cotton fabric and yarn.
The benefits of organic cotton clothing include the following:
* Benefits to the consumer: Manufacturers of organic Organic Cottonclothing strongly advertise that organic cotton clothing is better to wear, especially for babies. Many consumers and parents too agree with this. Organic cotton is excellent for the tender developing skin of a baby. It is believed that organic cotton clothing is softer than conventional cotton clothing. Further, since production of organic cotton does not involve use of chemicals, it causes fewer allergies. Organic cotton apparel also reduces respiratory problems and smells pleasant. Please note that these benefits of organic cotton are perceived beliefs, and do not have a strong scientific proof. Organic Facts is a strong proponent of organic food and organic living; however, it is necessary to provide the right kind of information to the readers. Please read benefits of organic food for more details.
* Environment benefits of organic cotton: You will be surprised to know that conventional cotton accounts for nearly 25% of the insecticides and 10% of the pesticides used in the world, though is it grown on only 3% of the total cultivated area. Cotton crop has been plagued by numerous diseases and pests including bacterial blight, ascochvta blight, southern blight, lef spot, bollworm, white fly, crown gall, lint degradation, anthracnose, areolate mildew, powdery mildew, black root rot, boll rot, sting nematode, charcoal rot, escobilla, stem canker, leaf spot, lint contamination, terminal stunt, cotton rust, southwestern cotton rust, tropical cotton rust, verticillium wilt, reniform nematode, abutilon mosaic, anthocyanosis, blue disease, small leaf, leaf crumple, leaf curl, leaf mottle, leaf roll, psylosis, and phyllody. It also ranks fourth in the list of most heavily fertilized crops. The excessive usage of chemicals in conventional cotton production has led to environmental pollution. Organic cotton is grown using organic means without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides and insecticides and therefore helps improve the quality of land, prevent water contamination, and conserve biodiversity.
* Improved health for farmers: Like conventional coffee production, conventional cotton production also leads to poisoning, causing various health problems for the farmers. The problem of poisoning due to chemical insecticides and pesticides is so acute that thousands of poor farmers in developing countries lose their lives. Organic cotton production, on the other hand, ensures a healthy life for the farmers.
* Cost savings for organic cotton farmers: Studies carried out by the Centre for Sustainable Agriculture in Andhra Pradesh, India have shown that growing organic cotton is cheaper than frowing Bt Cotton as Bt Cotton is more prone to pest attacks.
* Prevention of suicides: Many times, failed crops in chemical cotton production leads the farmers into debts as the input costs are high. In the past few years, numerous farmers in India, especially in the states of Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh, have resorted to suicides. The input costs for organic cotton production reduce with time, enabling farmers to remain debt-free even after a crop failure.